Amazon Alexa Echo (Your Own “Jarvis”)
Those of you who have watched “IRON MAN” already have an idea about “Jarvis”. It’s Tony Stark’s (Robert Downey Jr.) Voice assistant in that movie.
Whom he gives command through words, and “Jarvis” processes those commands and gives output through words too.
Well, we all wanted that kind of voice assistant with us.
It may come as a surprise to you.
But now all of us can have the female version of “Jarvis”, whose name is “Alexa”.
Yes, you heard it right.
Amazon has launched its Alexa Echo Series of “Smart Speakers” in India this year.
These smart speakers can play music for you, read out the news of the day, can tell your day’s schedule, remind you of doing any specific task, turn on/off the lights and much more.
And all of these they will do it for you, by just listening to your voice commands.
Isn’t it amazing?
Yes, it is, I heard you say it.
Let us briefly discuss Amazon Alexa Echo.
Amazon has launched its three Alexa Echo Range of Smart Speakers in India namely Amazon Echo Dot, Amazon Echo and Amazon Echo Plus.
Among them, Echo Dot is the cheapest one and the Echo Plus is the most expensive one.
Let me Define Amazon Alexa Echo Technology for You Guys and Girls.
Amazon Echo is a “Smart Speaker cum Voice Assistant” Which will take input from your voice commands and will give you output using its voice (Speaker).
To make it simpler, you can think of Amazon Alexa Echo devices of “A Tiny Cylindrical Shaped” computers that are always connected to the internet and which can do everything from Playing music, reading news, reading your daily schedule, and most importantly controlling almost all the elements of your “Smart House”.
And the only Input-Output mechanism is “Voice” here.
What is Alexa?
Alexa is the name of the software program running on the Amazon Echo devices. They are also your voice assistant with whom you will interact.
Echo Devices are always listening for the word “Alexa” and once they listen to this word, the top of the device lights up, which indicates that it is recording whatever you are speaking or commanding. And then it performs whatever you have commanded it to do.
A Brief Working of “Alexa Echo Devices”.
Step 1: You will say the word “Alexa”.
Step 2: Alexa will get aware that you want to command her something and she will start recording whatever you want to say to her.
Step 3: You will command her whatever you want.
Step 4: She will record this command and will send it to the cloud for processing.
Step 5: The commands will get processed and Amazon will look up for the answer.
Step 6: Once the Amazon finds the optimal answer for your command, the answer will be spoken to you.
You may say it’s a pretty long process.
But all of these happens in a matter of 2 to 3 seconds. Yes, that’s it.
In short you can interact will these “Smart Tech Toys” just like you would interact with any human.
A Brief Overview of How You Can Use Alexa Echo
It’s like having Siri (iPhone) and Google Assistant (Android) on your Speakers.
Alexa is also good at answering simple questions related to history, math, trivia and so on.
Top Uses of Alexa Echo
- It can give you weather and traffic updates of the locations.
- With India launch, it can give you the updates of the cricket score.
- It can read out the news headlines for you.
- Amazon has integrated with “Zomato” for restaurant recommendations. So it can even recommend you restaurants near you.
- You can book Ola Cabs with Amazon Echo.
- You can integrate Amazon Echo with your Google calendar and Alexa can read out your schedule for you.
- Most people will use it for Playing Music. Amazon Echo is integrated with TuneIn, Saavn, and Amazon Prime Music to provide the music facilities to their customers.
- Amazon Echo can even read books from Kindle for you.
- And even you can use Amazon Echo for shopping from Amazon itself. The advantages of shopping with Amazon Echo is that you will get “Exclusive Echo Only Discounts” which can save some bucks for your shopping.
Some Common Commands of Amazon Echo
- Alexa, turn on/off the light.
- Play the latest Bollywood hits.
- What’s the news?
- What is India’s cricket score?
- Tell me a Joke.
- Remind me to call my mom at 6 pm.
- Play relaxing music.
Features and Differences among Amazon Echo Dot, Amazon Echo, and Amazon Echo Plus.
Amazon Echo Dot:
- It can connect to speakers or headphones through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable play music from services like Amazon Prime Music, Saavn, and TuneIn.
- With Seven microphones, beamforming technology, and noise cancellation, Echo Dot hears can you hear you from any direction-even in noisy environments or while playing music also.
- Controls lights, plugs, and more with compatible connected smart devices from Philips, Syska, and others.
- Alexa is smart enough to order food from Zomato, request a ride from Ola, book a carpenter from Urbanclap and much more.
- Speaker’s Size “0.6” tweeter.
- Device Size 32*84*84 mm
- Device Weight 163g
- Price: Rs 3,149.00 for a limited period. After that Rs 4,499.
- Powerful Speakers that can fill the room with immersive, 360-degree omnidirectional audio, and deliver crisp vocal and dynamic bass response.
- Here also you have seven microphones, beam-forming technology, and noise cancellation technology. Echo hears you from any direction-even in noisy environments or while playing music too.
- Here the speaker’s size is 2.5″ woofer, 0.6″ tweeter.
- Device Size is 148*88*88mm
- And the Device Weight is 821g.
- Price Rs 6,999 for a limited Period. After that Rs 9,999.
Amazon Echo Plus.
- This device has a built-in smart home hub. So you don’t need to install any additional smart hub to control the smart elements of your smart home.
- Other than that, all the functionalities are same as above.
- There are only some technical differences between them
- Here the speaker’s size is 2.5″ woofer, 0.8″ tweeter
- The Device Size is 235*84*84mm
- The Device Weight is around 954g.
- Price Rs 10,499 for a limited period. After that Rs 14,999.